When asked about their ambitions, many children often cite being an astronaut. It is clear that the outer space fascinates young tykes and gives them the chance to wonder about the unexplored. As parents, we know it is a wonderful thing as it jumpstarts the children’s imagination which is necessary for their cognitive development.
Outer space is akin to magic to not only children but to adults as well. However, the pragmatic mind sometimes overlooks the sense of wonder but continues to be a major part of a child’s imagination. With Chandrayaan-2 making headlines, this Rs.1000 crore project is gracing the headlines and conversations all across the world.
With such exposure and virtual reinforcements at our behest, it is important to teach the young tykes about this grand success of the Indian aerospace sector. Here’s how you can break it down to them.
Why should every Indian child must be well-versed about it?
These are exciting times for Indian space research paradigm and it is important that children understand this stature and value. By talking to your children about Chandrayaan-2, you will help them :
* Improve their knowledge with respect to current affairs and the growth of the country. A child should be aware of what is going on in the world.
* They can leverage this knowledge to write essays or participate in debate competitions to fortify their standpoint.
* Your child’s knowledge about the ongoing affairs will improve the perception of teachers and herald him/her as a child who is knowledgeable rather than mere studious.
You will help him/her understand the importance of innovation and maybe help them craft their path to their ambitions. By talking about Chandrayaan-2 might help your child earn those brownie points in tests and examinations.
What is Chandrayaan-2?
Chandrayaan-2 is the successor of Chandrayaan-1, which is set to the outer space to understand the lunar patterns and send viable information back to earth. The launch took place on 22nd July, at Shriharikota.
If it lands safely on its predicted dated in September, Chandrayaan-2 will be the first of its kind in the southern pole of the moon and India will be the first country to have accomplished such feat. ISRO will truly have a historical achievement to its name.
The satellite weighs 3447 kg and carries a suite of 14 experiments, distributed among the orbiter, the lander and the rover. These three elements are meant to establish communication with each other and the ISRO HQ.
Chandrayaan-2 for kids.
You can break-down the the facts for kids like this :-
1. Chandrayaan-2 will be the first mission to land a lunar rover near the moon’s southern pole.
2. The aim of Chandrayaan-2 is to discover the moon’s southern region, map the entire area and also look for in case of any presence of lunar water.
3. India will be the fourth country to soft-land on the moon, joining the league of of the U.S.A., Russia and China.
4. However, the Chandrayaan-2 needs to land safely for this mission to be a success. The part just before the landing when the lander separates from the main body and soft lands will decide whether the mission is successful or not.
5. The Chandrayaan-2 lunar rover is known as Pragyan, weighs 27 kg and works on solar power. It has 6 wheels and upon a successful landing, will cover a distance of 400 m on the moon.
6. Similarly, Chandrayaan-2 lunar lander which help the entire vehicle to land safely.
7. Chandrayaan-2’s land orbiter will be the main part that will gather information while it is 100 m above the moon’s surface. The orbiter was made by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
8. The entire mission will be for 14 Earth days or 1 lunar day. Chandrayaan-2 will cover 400 m on the moon surface with speed of 1 cm/sec.
Why is Chandrayaan-2 so important?
India will be the first country to have achieved such historic success in the global aerospace industry.
It will help us understand the potential presence of lunar water ice on the surface.
It will also open up a series of possibilities about the state of the moon and its atmosphere.
Prime Minister exclaimed his happiness upon a successful launch, citing this historic event as a push for youngsters to invest in research, science, and innovation.
Post the success of Chandrayaan-1 and 104 satellite launch, we can only hope that India continues to run its winning streak and etches a permanent place in space and research scenario across the world.
Kids must know that the New India is emerging in a rapid growth and thus they should walk on the same footsteps by educating themselves about the nation’s development and the earlier a child is educated on the importance of accepting and embracing diversity, the more likely they are to become kind, tolerant adults.
While many have glorified the Western world for their innovation and growth, children have grown up marveling the quotient that other countries provide. By educating our children about the growth, innovation, and development on the Indian soil, we will be changing their perception and also be their vision with respect to how they can contribute to the national growth in future. Chandrayaan-2 is a gentle nudge that will allow them to explore the prowess of India and be proud to be part of this country.
This article has been authored by Kartik Bajoria and first appeared in the ‘TOI’.
Please follow and like us: